[ltp] T60p idle GPU temperature?

TuuS linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jul 2012 15:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

Adrian Filip wrote:

> I'm in the same situation with a T60p, ATI V5250 GPU.
> The temperature is at 79.0 C, the fan is constantly running at full
> speed ~3400rpm. I already changed once the heatsink, the only
> improvement were a few degrees less.

I've found that installing the heatsink from a T61p (which has 3 heatpipes
instead of only two), can greatly reduce temps on your T60/T60p, but even if
you use the T60 discrete fan, remove the thermal pad from the GPU platform
and use Arctic Silver #5 thermal paste instead. Also make sure you have a
good fit and the platform is resting flush on the gpu die without needing
the retainer to add pressure. I'd avoid using a copper shim, that only
doubles the gaps the heat has to traverse. A well fitted heatsink with
proper application of thermal paste is the key.