[ltp] [T400] Tweaking temperature range for thermal sensors

Mateusz Loskot linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 22:31:23 +0100

On 8 June 2012 21:51, Chris Schumann <chris@idlelion.net> wrote:
> On 6/8/12 3:41 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> I'm tweaking thermal sensors control for Arch Linux on my T400.
>> I use thinkpad_acpi module.
>> I either set fan level manaly ACPI or use thinkfan utility.
>> I'm wondering, what is a typical range of temperature for HDD
>> during not HDD intensive tasks.
>> AFAIK, temperature of 50C or higher is dangerous for HDD.
>> Temperature range I have been observing on my laptop varies
>> between 36C and 43C. Does it sound right?
>>
>> Could anyone point to any documentation regarding this?
>>
>> I use Seagate Momentus 750 GB 7200 rpm (ST9750420AS)
>>
>> p.s. I asked similar question on Thinkpad ml:
>> http://stderr.org/pipermail/thinkpad/2012-June/036915.html
>

> Specs for that drive:
> http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-laptop/?sku=ST9750420AS
>
> TL;DR: operating temp is 0 to 60C.

Chris,

Thanks for reminding me to look at the obvious document.
It confirms the normal range, but it doesn't say anything about timing.
For example, is constant temperature at level of 40-45C for most of
operating time fine or too high?

I'm also trying to figure out what level of fan speed should I switch
for HDD temp  <40C, what level to 40-45C, and what level >45C, etc.

Best regards,