[ltp] X40 upgrade notes (SSD, Ubuntu Precise)

Helmut Hullen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
17 Jun 2012 15:19:00 +0200

Hallo, Richard,

Du meintest am 17.06.12:

> Having just upgraded an X40, I thought I'd share a couple of gotchas
> with the list.

(...)

> 2. I purchased a PATA 1.8" SSD made by "Kingfast". The Ubuntu
> installer sees this fine, but, having installed it, the BIOS can't
> boot from it, saying "No operating system found".

> Solution (rather oddly): remove the jumper cap on the drive, so that,
> rather than being in "IDE master" mode, it's in "cable select" mode.

That works on my T2x, with the special problem that when using the same
SSD via Ultrabay it needs the jumper.

That doesn't work on my T43.

The T43 needs the "master" jumper for recognizing the SSD, see (p.e.)
Setup/Startup/Boot

(If I remember correct the jumper blocks inserting the SSD on my T2x).

But it doesn't boot from SSD - I've just tried it once more.

What works (but that's really silly): Booting via "smart boot manager"
over PXE.

(Yes - there is an "active" partition ...)

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut