[ltp] Re: T520: With or without NVIDIA-Graphic?

Javier Santoyo linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:35:46 +0200

Hi,
I have a T520 with NVIDIA optimus and after some searching I managed to
get it working.
If you want to use the optimus NVIDIA configuration you can use bumblee
(http://bumblebee-project.org/) . When running bumblee it will render
through the NVIDIA card on the laptop screen fine. However I have not
managed with bumblee  to use the display port or external VGA. To be
able to use external VGA or display port I needed to use only the NVIDIA
card (no as optimus). To do this you have to disable the optimus option
in the BIOS by choosing "discrete" instead of "optimus". After this,
your laptop will behave as if it only has an NVIDIA card and you can use
nvidia settings to configure the card and save the configuration to
xorg.conf. I'm running xubuntu 11.10 with "discrete" mode and I can get
an external monitor also working when connected to the display port or
to the external VGA.
Cheers,
Javier