[ltp] T60p: thinkpad_acpi automatic module loading

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:03:07 -0600

On Sat, 2012-03-31 at 18:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Kevin Locke wrote:
>> Recently the thinkpad_acpi module stopped loading automatically during
>> startup on my T60p (2613-ESU with BIOS "79ETE7WW (2.27 )") running
>> Debian testing (udev 175-3.1) and a vanilla kernel.  [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Any suggestions for how to debug this, or module auto-loading in
>> general, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sure, I can help.  First, check whether adding thinkpad_acpi.ko to the
> initramfs fixes it.  If it does, report a bug on the distro.  It should
> re-attempt autoloading after the initramfs hands over control to
> init/systemd/whatever, or it will cause this sort of breakage.

Brilliant!  Adding thinkpad_acpi and dependent modules to the
initramfs fixed the problem, and it explains the symptoms I was seeing
very well (for example, everything worked with an old kernel, but
after reinstalling the kernel it ceased to work reliably - because the
initramfs was regenerated).

I'll continue work on the bug with initramfs-tools through the Debian
bug tracker.

Thank you very much for your help!

--
Cheers,      |  kevin@kevinlocke.name   | JIM:  kevinoid@jabber.org