[ltp] Changing sensitivity ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 May 2012 20:24:31 +0200

Bernhard Seibold <mail@bernhard-seibold.de> writes:
> On 11.05.2012 13:15, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Note that Bernhard Seibold created a simple driver for reading/setting
>> precisely this value via sysfs a year ago:
>>  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg15423.html
>>
>> Don't know why that hasn't been merged yet.  CCing Bernhard to ensure
>> that he is aware of this discussion.
>
> I don't really know the context here,

Right. Sorry about that.  And I didn't even think about the problem that
posting to the mailing list is restricted to subscribers only...

You can read the discussion in the linux-thinkpad mailing list archive
if you are interested:
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2012-May/thread.=
html#50727

> but regarding that patch, I posted
> it at least twice on the linux-input mailing list, and I asked the HID
> maintainer (Jiri Kosina) at least twice about it, but I always got
> ignored. I don't know why.
>
> So I basically gave up on trying to get it merged, but if you wanna try
> yourself, be my guest.

Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the offer.  I could give it a try,
but I believe it would be better if one of those actually owning the
hardware would do that.  Anyone here wanting to push this?

I see that the USB HID DRIVERS use linux-usb as mailinglist (and not
linux-input as the rest of the HID stuff).  That could make it easier.
Nothing is ever ignored on that list, and new drivers are usually very
welcome.  At least that's the impression I've got.

> However since it looked useful to me I published an updated version of
> the patch and a userspace tool with reduced functionality on github:
>
> https://github.com/bseibold/linux/compare/master...tpkbd-unstable
> https://github.com/bseibold/tpkbdctl

Given the fact that this issue came up, I assume these tools are of
interest to a lot of pepole here.  Thanks for the pointers.

And thanks for your quick answer.

Bjørn