[ltp] 16GB of memory on an X220?

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 May 2012 01:24:19 +0200

On 05/13/2012 12:39 AM, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> i really don't believe thats possible, spec says the chipset only
> supports 8GB.

According to official specs, the T61 doesn't support 2x4=8GB RAM either,
but unofficially happily does. I have two T61 running here in this very
configuration. When the specs were written and published, there were
simply no 4GB DDR2 modules available on the market, which might explain
this incorrectness.

According to the german http://thinkwiki.de/X220 site, 16GB actually  is
unofficially supported on the X220. In fact, a member of the german
thinkpad-forum.de is currrently selling his X220 which is equipped with
2x8=16GB DDR3 RAM modules here:
http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/132776-X220-Topausstattung-16GB-40GB-SSD-1000GB-HDD-IPS-i5-FPR-5Y-VOS
. This alone should be proof enough that it is possible.

BTW, I am using a X220 with IPS display at work and absolutely dislike
its crippled vertical screen resolution. I'd rather wish i could use a
T61 with a decent TN SXGA+ display instead.