[ltp] T60 screen replacement options

David Griffith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 May 2012 03:27:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 May 2012, rappard@dds.nl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The screen on my T60 (1952-CC2) has bit the dust and while the lower
> right-hand corner looks positively psychedelic ;-) I intend to replace
> it soon(ish). If anyone has suggestions on where to order this
> (preferably in Europe) I'm all ears. So far I've found:
> - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-LENOVO-T60-LAPTOP-14-1-SCREEN-COMPLETE-LID-HINGES-WORKING-GRADE-/230793760371
> - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-LENOVO-Display-T60-T61-14-1-LCD-SCREEN-Warranty-/160803676423
>
> Alternatively I might go for one of the following options, if the
> price difference is not too big:
> - Buy a T60 docking station plus an external monitor
> - Buy *another* T60 (1952-CC2) and use my old one for parts
>
> Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

I bought a replacement motherboard for my T42 when it developed a
graphical problem that went away if you pressed a certain spot on the
wrist rest.  Replacing a monitor is the same as replacing a motherboard:
you'll take the computer almost completely apart.  It'll take you at least
two hours to complete, but it's not particularly difficult as long as
you keep your workspace organized.

I'd go for replacing the screen over getting a docking station.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu