[ltp] X1 Carbon: Linux freezes randomly, Win7 no problem.

Sandro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:26:59 +0100

--f46d044481599e8c2504cdf36920

This brand new Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon came with Windows 7 preinstalled.

For dual booting purposes I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and while
configuring the system, I noticed it totally freezes at random, sometimes
after 15 minutes, sometimes after an hour.

By totally, I mean the screen freezes, the hard drive indicator doesn't
flicker anymore, magic keys such as Ctrl+Alt+F2 don't work, and System
Requests like SysRq+B(oot) do nothing.

I can find nothing suspicious in the logs, but I have to admit that I am
not sure what I am looking for.

All this, but in Windows 7 there is no problem. I am typing this from
Windows because Ubuntu crashes too much. This leads me to believe this is
probably a bug triggered by a certain hardware thingie, but I am never
going to find out what it is, am I?

Maybe your combined knowledge has an idea how to proceed. I really need to
run Ubuntu or Mint (for work), and I'd hate to sell this laptop. It's
pretty sweet.

I am also trying the folks over at Ubuntu
Forums<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081840>
.

Grtz,
~Sander

--f46d044481599e8c2504cdf36920

untu 12.04 LTS, and while configuring the system, I noticed it totally free=
zes at random, sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes after an hour.</div>

ndicator doesn&#39;t flicker anymore, magic keys such as Ctrl+Alt+F2 don&#3=
9;t work, and System Requests like SysRq+B(oot) do nothing.</div><div>
 but in Windows 7 there is no problem. I am typing this from Windows becaus=
e Ubuntu crashes too much. This leads me to believe this is probably a bug =
triggered by a certain hardware thingie, but I am never going to find out w=
hat it is, am I?</div>

d. I really need to run Ubuntu or Mint (for work), and I&#39;d hate to sell=
so trying the folks over at=A0<a href=3D"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread=
.php?t=3D2081840">Ubuntu Forums</a>.</div>

--f46d044481599e8c2504cdf36920--