[ltp] Re: CPUs that can work in a T61

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:21:37 +0600

On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 15:01 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Some fifteen minutes of googling gives a strictly negative result.
>
> Hmm... I did search for a while but did not find any definitive
> negative answer.  Could you give me a pointer (and/or some explanation
> of which problem we bump into)?
[root@ibm2 openvpn]# lspci|head -n1
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory
Controller Hub (rev 0c)

http://ark.intel.com/products/29822/Intel-82PM965-Memory-Controller

Compatible products -> Processors. No Q* or QX* series.

http://ark.intel.com/products/29821/Intel-82GM965-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller?q=GM965

Compatible products -> Processors. No Q* or QX* series.

And I bet on that:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gateway-emachines/306877-pm965-800fsb-chipset-1066-mhz-fsb-cpu-7.html
<QUOTE>
working in the IT world i had intels number and called and after a long
long delay i got tranfered finally to their level 5 support and a tech
claimed the intel 965m would work with 1066 fsb however most companies
are refusing to provide the bios suppport... that is the same reason
intel website lists the qx9300 able to work for our chipset even though
we can't use it cause gateway is being
</QUOTE>

Lenovo/IBM are/were infamous for NOT supporting the hardware that
otherwise would work with their hardware (pci id locks), so I strongly
accept the argument that they wouldn't provide BIOS support for CPUs
that were never shipped with their laptops.

We might need some help of a very advanced guy like Middleton who's able
to modify the BIOS. Unless that happens in my not so humble opinion it
isn't worth even trying.

Dmitry