[ltp] Re: CPUs that can work in a T61

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:13:26 -0500

>> > Some fifteen minutes of googling gives a strictly negative result.
>> Hmm... I did search for a while but did not find any definitive
>> negative answer.  Could you give me a pointer (and/or some explanation
>> of which problem we bump into)?
[...]
> We might need some help of a very advanced guy like Middleton who's able
> to modify the BIOS. Unless that happens in my not so humble opinion it
> isn't worth even trying.

OK, this seems to say that the problem would mostly be on the BIOS side
(plus the frequency mismatch, of course, which would run the CPU slower
than intended).

Indeed, that's to be expected.  I'm not holding my breath on a modified
BIOS to fix this issue.  Tho, maybe if/when coreboot works on T61s
(i.e. if someone ever gets to write the coreboot code for the pm965
memory controller) that could be revisited.

        Stefan "Sticking with T9300 for now"