[ltp] thinkpad_ec fails on T430i

Robin Becker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:23:56 +0100

I have a recent T430i with 1.20 bios and have installed Arch Linux on it. I have
fan control working, but cannot get thinkpad_ec (or tp_smapi) working.

I tried the tpacpi-bat perl script workaround for setting the battery
thresholds, but that fails with an error return of 0x8000000.. at the acpi_call.
Looking in the journalctl output I can see that some bios ranges appear to
conflict with things that thinkpad_ec wants.

Is this something that can be fixed using a modified DSDT? Do all of these
problems vanish if I use EFI rather than legacy MBR booting?

This is my first thinkpad and I like it (don't like the caps lock key though or
Fn-Ctrl positioning). IBM had(has) a good linux rep, but looking in various
forums seems Lenovo is leaving that behind.
--
Robin Becker