[ltp] how to activate wifi on startup

Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:58:54 +0100

On 15/10/12 13:40, Frank Baumeister wrote:
> Hello,
> when I start my x121e the wifi is deactivated. Is this TLP? And how to
> activate it on startup?

There are lots of different controls for the Wifi - some of which try to
"helpfully" remember your previous state.

The fundamental controls are:

Hardware kill switch (if physically fitted)   (see: rfkill)
Firmware kill switch (Fn-F5, or Bios)
The actual radio settings (Access Point, Authorisation, DHCP).

There are several underlying frameworks (the kernel, network manager,
nm-applet, wicd, wpa-supplicant, /etc/network/interfaces). Also possibly
the firmware.

It's all a horrible distro-dependent mess - so many things are trying to
help, that the simple task you are trying to do is complicated.

If you reply with which distro, which desktop-environment, and the type
of network you're using, I may be able to help more.

At a guess though:

1. You're using network manager and haven't got it automatically enabled.

2. You should do a clean logout and shutdown while the wifi is enabled
and connected to your AP, to encourage everything to remember that state.

3. When it's not working, try "rfkill list" and post the result.

HTH

Richard