[ltp] USB 3.0 breakout with dock on non-USB 3.0 laptop

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:00:48 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:21:50PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:

> I own a T420 which does not support USB 3.0 on its own. Now Lenovo came
> out with a new dock that does provide one single USB 3.0 port. Can
> somebody confirm that the port works even though the laptop itself does
> not provide one? If it does work I presume it's some kind of PCIe
> connection over the proprietary dock connector to a USB 3.0 chip in the
> dock, i.e. a new controller in lspci?

AFAIK it does not even work on USB3.0 enabled models under Linux. At
least thats what I've heard from a friend and his X230 plus dock.

Greets
Evgeni

--
Bruce Schneier can read and understand Perl programs.