[ltp] T520 Wireless

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:17:50 +0000

     One tip...  The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to pop
the keyboard out, I don't think the diagram really explains how.

FRU 1060, Keyboard, page 67 of the manual (go to page 75 of the PDF)

     Once you remove the screws from the back, you have to slide the
keyboard slightly back towards the hinge/screen.  The back edge of the
keyboard slides back and under the keyboard bezel.  The front edge of
the keyboard slides out from under the bezel and pops up/out a quarter
of an inch or so.  Then grab the popped-up edge and pull it forward,
towards the palm rest and slightly up, to free the back edge of the
keyboard from the bezel.

     There are two tricks to this that the docs don't really explain.

     The first trick is *how* to slide it. The docs show you pushing
with your thumb on the gap between the F8 and F9 key.  This doesn't
really work that well, especially when you encounter the second trick,
which is that not all thinkpad keyboards slide easily and silky
smooth.  My t43p was in fact quite stuck, since it hadn't been opened
in the five years I owned it.

     I recommend watching a youtube video or two and googling for some
good closeup photos.  Interestingly, this youtube video is for the
t410, and it uses a completely different removal technique than the
t520 manual suggests, using a screwdriver inserted into slots at the
lower/front edge of the keyboard.  Looking closely at my t520, I see
the same slots, so it might work for you:

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2rGryt2Fg

     This text and photo tutorial uses the same method on a W510:

     http://schabby.de/lenovo-thinkpad-keyboard-removal/

     This video says to just press/slide the entire keyboard via
pressure with your palms on the keys, but again I'd be skeptical that
your keyboard will slide that well.  Then again you recently had it
serviced, so maybe it's all clean and smooth.

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpqw0UWyq-4

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell