[ltp] New Thinkpad

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:06:51 -0700

Last Sunday I saw a Zareason laptop that they shipped with Ubuntu. It
boots in 15 seconds. Want!

Well, that is, I *would* want it if I could get it with a dock like I
have for my T61. I have an ethernet and three USB cables to
connect, and I don't want them running down the sides of the computer,
getting in my way.

So I'm shopping for a new Thinkpad, and that has led to confusion.
Lenovo's website doesn't make it easy to figure things out. Lots of
pics and pretty words, few facts and scant information.

I want a machine as rugged as my T61 has been, but with pretty cutting
edge power - 1 TB storage + mSATA, Blue-ray burner, etc., and with a
15.6 inch screen at 1920x1080. I expect it will cost $2000+.

Let me start with this question: What are the differences among the T,
L, W and Edge series?

Depending on the responses to the above question, I'm leaning toward
the T or W series. I tried to customize several, but there were few
options. I couldn't find any Blu-ray drives at all. Are Thinpads all
pretty much bundled into package deals now?

Thanks in advance for responses and suggestions.