[ltp] adding a non-lenovo mSATA cache drive to a X230

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:23:37 -0400

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 09:35:12AM +0200, Ismael Olea wrote:
> > Yes. I've installed non-Lenovo mSATA drives on my X230 and more
> > recently on my T430s.  I've never had a problem.  I've typically used
> > Intel SSD's, with an 80GB 313 on the X230, and the 240GB 525 on my
> > T430s.
> Can I ask you if used them as:
>    - regular disks
>    - Intel Rapid Storage Technology cache
>    - or Linux dm-cache?

I'm using them as regular disks.  On my T430s, I have a 240GB Intel
525 as my primary root disk, a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro as my auxiliary
disk in the 3.5", 7mm bay, and a 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400rpm HDD in
my media disk.  All of them are using either raw Linux partitions
and/or LVM under Linux.  I also have a Windows partition primarily for
Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop.

I used to use a 5400 RPM HDD for the build trees, while keeping the
source trees on the SSD.  These days I'm keeping the .o files on the
HDD's, and it's all been good.

						- Ted