[ltp] SSD for X200 Tablet

Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:14:13 +0300

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:42:15AM +0200, Maciej Musial wrote:
> Could you please share some tests results?
> For example how much time take system to boot now and how long it took wi=
th
> traditional HDD?

Good thing I keep a diary.

On the T61, back in October 2010 (which means I was running Ubuntu 10.10
aka maverick): full boot until desktop, including typing in my password
and waiting for GNOME session, was 27 seconds with the SSD.

I don't have numbers recorded with the 5400 rpm HDD, but it was
something like 1 minute and 30 seconds or more.

This is a development laptop, so it probably had stuff like PostgreSQL
and Apache installed, slowing down the startup somewhat.

Now, on the X220, boot was 8-10 seconds until LightDM prompt.  This
includes BIOS POST and GRUB time.  Unfortunately, GNOME login takes
longer than boot (maybe 15-20 more seconds).

And then I switched to Ubuntu GNOME, which uses GDM, which takes
disappointingly much longer to show the login screen.  My guess is that
the entire login process takes the same 30 seconds.

I just installed bootchart and rebooted: http://i.imgur.com/F5CKltQ.png
The login screen shows up after 11 seconds, and full desktop after maybe
18 seconds.  This doesn't include BIOS POST/GRUB time, which easily adds
another 5-8 seconds.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
        -- Greg Goss