[ltp] SSD for X200 Tablet

Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:37:29 +0300

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:46:17AM +0200, Maciej Musial wrote:
> Friends, do you know sth about ssd lifetime? I've red somewhere that it is
> not as good as traditional hdd drives (I mean it's natural lifetime, not
> possibility of physical damage of course). It was some time ago, but I was
> wondering how it looks like now.
> Does anyone meet such thing, did you have any problems with sdd after some
> time off using that?

I had an Asus EeePC 900 with two crappy SSDs (4 GB and 16 GB).  They
were slow (much slower than a rotating HDD), and both died within 1 year
of use (ext3, mounted with noatime).  Death manifested itself as read
errors (I was surprised too) from the ext3 journal.

I've had my Intel SSD since early 2010 (using ext3, then ext4).
smartctl -a /dev/sda shows

  233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always =
      -       0

So it lost 1% of its write cycles.

This is why I trust Intel, and don't trust cheaper options.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Favorite MS-DOS error message: "Drive C: not ready, close door."

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl

--oLBj+sq0vYjzfsbl--