[ltp] T420 DVD drive problems

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 00:36:34 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, David Woodfall wrote:

> I seem to be having problems with my new(ish) T420 DVD drive, in that
> CDs/DVDs often cannot be read by the system (Slackware 14.0/Linux
> 3.7.1) and lately the drive will eject a disk immediately after
> shutting the drawer, so that it takes multiple closures to actually
> get a disk in.
>
> I'm going to buy a new one, but I wanted to ask if this is a known
> problem with some brands of drives, and if there is anything to look
> out for when buying a new one?

If possible I'd avoid Sony just out of principle (namely because after
they installed rootkits on people's computers a few years back it's a
little hard to trust them.)

But apart from that, pretty much any appropriately-sized SATA bay drive
will work, even ones that aren't ThinkPad parts.  About the only problem
you might have with an aftermarket drive would be the bezel not fitting --
and that can often be worked around with some creative recycling and/or
the application of an appropriately-sized Dremel tool...

-Rob