[ltp] Re: T61, fan disabled (Thinkpad T-60 fan replacement UK)

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:48:03 +0600

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 21:41 -0600, green wrote:
> Yes.  But of course, if the "fan never kicks in", then that is the
> same thing as disabling the fan, correct?  Will the temperatures ever
> get too high?  If not, then disabling the fan is safe.  But really
> this is just speculation on my part, based on my surprise that my
> little experiment seems to be working.
Try, oh well, to compile Linux kernel on it and see what happens. Or
recode some HD video. Or any other stupid, but CPU-intensive task. Or
play some 3D-game if you're on NVidia.

> > My T61's fan is off most of the time, but even if I'm idle, it gets
> > turned on (for a short while) on a regular basis, so it's
> > very tempting.  I just wish I could tweak the BIOS's fan control instead,
> > since it would be much cheaper resourcewise.
>
> It seems to me that most of the time when the fan is running it is
> doing so not because the laptop needs to be cooled internally, but to
> maintain *externally* "safe" temperatures.  And my T61 does feel, at
> times, much warmer externally but this does not seem to correlate with
> the internal temperatures, which remain mostly steady.
It's warmer because of it's metal case which is obviously a good thermal
conductor. And it also conducts the heat to the components which were
never intended to be that hot. Your spinning HDD maybe? Check it's temp.

IBM/Lenovo engineered a superb quality product which don't get really
hot outside (and inside) even under hard load and you abuse it so much.

Get the fan. Or repair the original one. It could be done. I did it. All
you need is to apply some oil.

--
Best regards,
        Dmitry Mikhailov