[ltp] Replacement hard disk options for pre-SATA Thinkpads?

Sat, 05 Jan 2013 22:03:34 +0800

Gentlemen, I have a Thinkpad R32 that I need to get a hard disk for.

Let's say that all I can buy are SATA disks these days. Can I rig up
some cable adapter via the original disk connection, or via the
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Plus_Device_Carrier of my
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R32 ?

No it wouldn't bother me if the disk was hanging outside of the
computer, as the computer would always be at home.

I also own some 3.5" pre-SATA disks. Maybe I can rig up a cable to
connect way down into the 2.5" slot?

OK. Now let's talk about the contents of my new disk:

Gentlemen, as above I own a Thinkpad R32 2659HT2
with a dead FUJITSU MHR2020A disk.

No problem, I will just buy another disk and then do a "dd" copy
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_copy_a_Linux_installation
from my working Thinkpad R50e (1834NV1)'s FUJITSU MHT2040A via a USB adapter...

Question: Will the R32 boot from a (exact copy of a) R50e's disk?