[ltp] Re: Google Group

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:12:16 +0000

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:36:59PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 03:45:29PM -0500, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > > Sadly in many enterprises you don't get along with people if you don't
> > > top-post. (Not that I'd ever do that unless I'm forced to stick with
> > > OWA or similar crap where I then cannot be bothered to reformat the
> > > mail first.) And as GMail got exported to businesses through Google Apps
> > > I fear that they see it as a feature, not a bug.
> > Yeah, but remember that that's because Outlook top-posts by default :-)
>
> No it's also to cope with interfaces that don't do threading or don't do it
> properly. See various ticket systems that tell you not to snip away the fully
> quoted thread in the response.
>
> I don't think Outlook is the only thing to blame here, even if it's probably
> the worst offender.

     Historically speaking, I remember in the early 90s when a lot of
LANs started hooking up to the internet and I started seeing mailing
list posts with tag lines indicating GUI apps like CC:Mail, etc.
Those same messages had a tendency to top post and to violate other
commonly-accepted usenet/internet email conventions.

     On some mailing lists there were even arguments about it - people
literally advanced the argument that hey, we're communication
professionals, why should we pay any attention to the etiquette
developed by those smelly geeks just because they've alread spent a
few spent decades using email?  (Okay, the "smelly geeks" wasn't
literal, but the rest of the argument was, and the undertone was
there).

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell