[ltp] Re: X40 upgrade notes (SSD, Ubuntu Precise)

rwethmar linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:59:41 -0800 (PST)

Richard Neill-4 wrote
> 2. I purchased a PATA 1.8" SSD made by "Kingfast". The Ubuntu installer
> sees this fine, but, having installed it, the BIOS can't boot from it,
> saying "No operating system found".
>
> Solution (rather oddly): remove the jumper cap on the drive, so that,
> rather than being in "IDE master" mode, it's in "cable select" mode.

I had exactly the same problem. In my situation (X40) the machine wouldn't
boot without any jumpers (in Cable Select mode) but DID work with 1 jumper
(in MASTER mode). The harddisk was a KingFast SSD, model KF180MCS.

Still, this thread helped me fix the problem, machine is booting now!