[ltp] reinstalling windows after linux

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 02:55:30 +0100

>       However, the windows recovery disks don't seem to offer me any
> option to choose which partition or even which disk to install on.  It
> looks like it'll just wipe the 500Gb drive.  Is there any way to get
> it to install windows on the SSD drive?

Rather frustratingly, windows "recovery disks" aren't the same as proper
windows installation disks. They are designed to restore your machine to
exactly how it left the factory - usually there's no flexibility to make
any changes to drive partitioning.,

So, you probably have to first use the recovery media, then re-install
Linux.

However, if you can bear to pay Microsoft twice, you might find that a
clean copy of XP (now cheap on eBay) inside a VM does a better job for
you. Also, for some applications, Wine is now good enough.

If you want to do really clever things, it is possible (but complicated)
to migrate an existing windows installation between disks, between
partitions, or even into a VM.

Best wishes,

Richard