[ltp] Re: reinstalling windows after linux

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 08:20:18 -0700

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 03:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 09:27:09 PM Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> > > need a windows install (and a linux partition, but I understand for
> > > dual boot it's best to start with windows and then add linux).
>
> > Why not install Windows in a VM instead, so you can have both systems
> > booted at the same time.
>
> I've often thought of doing this, but assumed that my Thinkpad T61
> was incapable of supporting a VM without serious loss of performance?
> Am I completely mistaken?
> I'm running Fedora-18/KDE .

It depends on the CPU you have, but AFAIK all the CPUs that were shipped
in the T61 have VT-x support.

So no, that might be incorrect.  The limiting factor with the T61 is
going to be RAM, but provided that you don't need a ton for the VM you
should be fine.

-R