[ltp] reinstalling windows after linux

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:55:24 +0000

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 06:06:17PM +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 02:55:30AM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
>
> > However, if you can bear to pay Microsoft twice, you might find that
> > a clean copy of XP (now cheap on eBay) inside a VM does a better job
> > for you. Also, for some applications, Wine is now good enough.
>
> What for? He has the license, so just get the disc somehow, e.g. by
> creating one from the install on disk (iirc nLite could do this).

     I hadn't realized - until I took the battery out while yanking
the hard drive - that the windows license key was in the battery
compartment.  Had I known, I could have just downloaded windows 7 from
digitalriver and used that license key.

     On the other hand, that wouldn't have included any of the windows
apps that come with the thinkpad.  If I have to suffer a windows
partition on my machine, it at least ought to have the potential to be
useful on occasion.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell