[ltp] Re: reinstalling windows after linux

Christoph Schmees linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:59:15 +0200

Am 27.06.2013 12:34, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 09:27:09 PM Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> need a windows install (and a linux partition, but I understand for
>>> dual boot it's best to start with windows and then add linux).
>
>> Why not install Windows in a VM instead, so you can have both systems
>> booted at the same time.
>
> I've often thought of doing this, but assumed that my Thinkpad T61
> was incapable of supporting a VM without serious loss of performance?
> Am I completely mistaken?
> I'm running Fedora-18/KDE .

Fedora has some problems w/ VBOX. That aside, it should be mainly
a matter of RAM. Your machine has Core2duo, hasn't it? Give it as
much RAM as possible. AFAIK 4GB is the maximum. That should be
fine for VBOX and one VM (at a time). Definitely for XP; for
seven you'd better remove the eye candy.

hth, Christoph