[ltp] Re: reinstalling windows after linux

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:00:48 +0200

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 08:20:18 AM Robert Tomsick wrote:

> > > Why not install Windows in a VM instead, so you can have both systems
> > > booted at the same time.

> > I've often thought of doing this, but assumed that my Thinkpad T61
> > was incapable of supporting a VM without serious loss of performance?
> > Am I completely mistaken?
> > I'm running Fedora-18/KDE .
>
> It depends on the CPU you have, but AFAIK all the CPUs that were shipped
> in the T61 have VT-x support.
>
> So no, that might be incorrect.  The limiting factor with the T61 is
> going to be RAM, but provided that you don't need a ton for the VM you
> should be fine.

Thanks for your response.

I see I only have 2GB of RAM.
Would that be enough?
I thought I had 4 GB,
and can certainly get more.

I don't see any mention of VT-x in /proc/cpuinfo .
The laptop is a T61 model T8300 .
How does one tell if a machine has VT-x support?