[ltp] Re: Anyone tried new NVIDIA Driver 310.40

Mateusz Loskot linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Mar 2013 00:15:49 +0000

On 16 March 2013 19:22, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:

> I use Arch Linux (64-bit) on Thinkpad W700 with NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M.
> Currently, I use the nouveau display driver, but I've been experiencing [1]
> well-known GPU lockups:
>
> nouveau GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
>
> This happens on every reboot or shutdown.
>
> Has anyone here who uses Thinkpad with this graphics card solved this issue?
>

> A week ago, NVIDIA released their new driver [2] which includes
> support for my graphics card.
>
> Has anyone tried it yet? Does it solve the GPU lockup problem?
>
> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159721
> [2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159760

I just replaced nouveau with the driver form Arch package nvidia 313.26-1
which represent the short-lived branch of NVIDIA driver for Linux
(driver versioned as 310.40 is long-lived branch as discovered in link [2]).

I'm glad to say, all works well and no GPU lockups observed on shutdown.
The only issue I experience (also posted on that in [1]) now is long
rebooting times
So, the reboot prints these final messages and hangs for 2-3 minutes,
before actually restarting the system:

All DM devices detached.
[27.313381] hub 5-0: 10: hub_port_status failed 9err = -110)
[27.325891] hub 5-0: 10: hub_port_status failed 9err = -110)
[27.339213] NOHZ: local-softirq_pending 02
[27.372776] Restarting system.

It also seems fan is speeding up at this point.

I'll continue testing and collecting some more details,
then I may try to update the ThinkWiki on this graphics card [3]

[3] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/NVIDIA_Quadro_FX_2700M

Best regards,