[ltp] spotty wireless with t520 w/Intel wifi and xubuntu 13.04

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2013 06:54:28 +0000

Folks,

I recently moved my t520 from ubuntu 12.04 to 13.04.  I did it via
fresh install (since I was also moving to a 256GB mSATA SSD, whee!),
then I did sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop.

My wireless has been spotty ever since.  To be specific:

Every hour or so, sometimes a little longer, sometimes a little
shorter, my network connectivity stops working.

When I check the the gnome network-manager applet, my access point
isn't listed.

If I right-click disable network and then right-click enable network,
the access point reappears.

Nobody else on the network experiences these problems, so it's not the
access point or comcast falling down.

The access point is a microtik RB751 running (of course) RouterOS.

The thinkpad is a:

t520 with Nvidia
Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor (2.20Ghz, 6MB L3)
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080)
500 GB HDD 7200 rpm
smart card reader, fingerprint reader, camera 720p, bluetooth 3, 9 cell Li-Ion Battery 55+
intel centrino wireless-N 10000
16GB RAM:  Two Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 (PC3-10666) SODIMM Notebook Memory (M1G64J90)
Samsung 256GB Mini mSATA MZ-MPC256D SSD HARD DRIVE DELL P/N 0MTT20 PM830 PCI-E

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell