[ltp] Why doesn't someone...

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:48:37 +0800

Not with any intention of aggravating anyone, but rather as an article
of conversation...

On 26/10/13 13:06, Michael Livshin wrote:
> (You'd expect some nice individual to maintain a PPA and The Community
> (whatever that is) to plaster the internets with friendly links to said
> PPA, right?
Why isn't that individual you?  That's what Free Software is about.

Us.

We're it.  There isn't "someone else".

You have an obvious interest.  You would seem the obvious choice.  Your
published code shows you have the technical skills.

And if you have (as you probably do) good reasons not to, then you know
the answer to your rhetorical question...

As I wrote, you probably do have good reasons.  But those reasons do
answer your question, or anyone else who has the same sort of question.

If you think it's a good idea, then proceed...

In an attempt to head off any misunderstandings, I wrote the software
adapter to allow Handwriting Recognition on *nix systems, and it's
published on Sourceforge.  I have some idea what's involved.

I don't maintain a PPA because it's for all systems rather than just the
*buntus, and because the user must agree to 3d party licenses to use the
system, so a "blind" install isn't appropriate (or legal).

And again, I accept you probably have good reasons - I just wanted to
make some conversation about Free Software.

Cheers,
Bret