[ltp] Re: T400 slow wifi connections

Paul Marwick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 04:44:19 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I've not got much of a basis for comparison in transfer speeds between Win
>> and Linux.  I'll have to set up some tests to see how much of a difference
>> there is (if any...).
> The reason I asked is because the connection speed is changed
> dynamically depending on the signal quality, because sometimes you get
> better throughput at lower connection speed.  So maybe the difference is
> simply due to the different rate-selection algorithms used in the
> two drivers, and which is "better" is not always as obvious as it seems.

That could certainly be a factor. I'll have to see if I can organise
some tests between Windows and Linux. Certainly doesn't seem likely to
make any difference when it comes to internet speeds - my incoming line
is only running at about 53 mb/s. It would be interesting to see if
there is a difference when it comes to moving files around my local
network. I don't use Samba much, simply because most of what I need to
move is Linux to Linux, so most of my connections are either NFS or SSHFS.

Paul.