[ltp] noise in audio on T430s

Tamas Papp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:56:42 +0200

Dear Richard,

On Thu, Sep 26 2013, rn214@richardneill.org wrote:

> After this, you need to go for USB-audio, or perhaps bluetooth. My
> experience is that very cheap (£5 on eBay) USB devices are dreadful, but
> I've personally had great results with the Behringer devices, such as
> the UCA202 (£22 on Amazon): in fact I use this with my desktop PC and hi-fi.

Does the UCA202 work with Linux?  If yes, was it difficult to get it
working?  I have some bad experience with USB audio devices, but that's
mostly from around 2006 and things may be plug & play now.

> Lastly, what kind of noise do you get? Is it hum, hiss, or interference?
> The noise-cancelling headphones can also add a very high-pitched, quiet,
> squeak (sounds like an analog TV flyback coil) sometimes.

I get a quiet susurration, very similar to white noise.  It stops when I
unplug the headphones from the T430s, so I guess that's the source.
Also, when I scroll a PDF, I get a faint, irregular scratch-like noise.

Best,

Tamas