[ltp] Re: Bios upgrade via USB boot

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:50:57 -0700

--UOWO09iq5HtTlbb5H0fgI9SDDwMhkKOXS

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote, On 2013-09-26 00:29:
> Slightly off-topic, but what X220 BIOS feature(s) did you consider wort=
> upgrading for? Reading
> http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8duj25uc.txt ,
> I'm not sure I should take the risk.

That's a really good question, and something I ask myself every time I
do an upgrade.

The BIOS has turned into this space where certain folks (including
myself at times) freak out about the possible chance of giving "them"
another avenue for attack. The fact that you can't really even get the
BIOS images off of Lenovo in any sort of secure trusted way is a little
troubling, so upgrading to me is a little more than, "are any of the new
features worth rebooting and potentially disrupting an already working
machine.

So as far as all this goes, I'm more than happy to give the NSA and the
Chinese government a backdoor to my machine just as long as they can
make more and more of the fan noise go away.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net