[ltp] getting hdaps up and running on the w530

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 17:58:37 +0200

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 04:32:45PM +0900, Raider Sail wrote:

> > tp-acpi and tp-smapi have nothing (!) in common. tp-acpi allows the use
> > of IBM/Lenovo specific ACPI calls on ThinkPads, whereas tp-smapi allows
> > the use of the embedded-controller directly.
>
> THANK YOU! Just to be clear, you are talking about
> http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/ hosted at
> git://repo.or.cz/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git correct? Is
> the development process to patch the latest 2.6 kernel and
> forward-port that to 3.x?
> I'm getting clearer but still not fully confident where the latest
> code for hdaps.ko and hdapsd.c is.

The latest code is in linux.git on git.kernel.org.
That repo you are linking seems outdated.

> > We have a hdaps in-kernel, so the best solution would be getting docs
> > for the device and integrating support into the existing hdaps module.
> > Then we can probably let tp-smapi to rest, finally.
>
> I was thinking along the same lines: why keep trying to integrate
> external pieces when we have a module that if developed properly and
> tested well, changes would be readily accepted into existing code?
> Even if changes are significant, if we test them well, would raise few
> objections.
> Couldn't the developer team peek at their own documentation and
> compare it to
> ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-3.13.fc20/linux-3.13.8-200.tpx.fc20.x86_64/drivers/platform/x86/hdaps.c
> and just tell us what's missing?

If it would be that easy. I'd still prefer interface-docs.

> According to http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Active_Protection_System
> the device used to be a Analog Devices ADXL320 accelerometer. One of
> our questions could be "is it still, or what else is it?"

Yepp, thats why we need docs.

Regards
Evgeni

--
Bruce Schneier can read and understand Perl programs.