[ltp] Graphics acceleration for Firefox, does this exist anymore?

Tamas Papp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:06:27 +0200

On Tue, Apr 29 2014, Paul Seelig wrote:

> On 04/29/2014 01:18 AM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
>> I feel like something changed over the last 4 months where video
>> play back through Firefox has been a hog on my X220. Anyone else
>> notice this too?
>>
> Which version of Firefox? The ESR variant? The Debian packaged one?
> Latest upstream version or some former upstream release version?
>
> How much RAM does your X220 have? Using an SSD or still a HDD?
>
> Without even giving at least a minimum of information no help is possible.
>
> Said that, upstream Firefox 28.0 works like a charm on my T61
> Frankenpad equipped with Intel graphics and 8GB RAM. Never bothered
> with graphics acceleration, though.

I experience something similar on my T430s. Video lags sound, and drops
frames. Uses almost 100% of one core. A workaround is to switch the
video to full screen, then it has no problems. Debian testing, latest
FF, latest flash plugin.

$ uname -a
Linux tamas 3.13-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.13.10-1 (2014-04-15) x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ dpkg -l iceweasel | tail -1
ii iceweasel     24.4.0esr-1      amd64     Web browser based on Firefox
$ lshw -class display
  *-display
       product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 09
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:43 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

I didn't bother looking for a solution since I don't watch a lot of
videos, but I can reproduce the problem.

Best,

Tamas