[ltp] Selecting a new Thinkpad

Chuck Aurora linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 07:47:11 -0500

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:10:45AM +0200, Leon Weber wrote:
> On 07.08.2014 22:27:49, Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> > 2) Mouse buttons
> > The new Thinkpad models do not have mouse buttons any more, AIUI=20
> > clicking the touchpad shall have the mouse button effect. Does=20
> > that work reliably with current Linux distros (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS),=20
> > including the middle button?
>=20
> There are different configs around in the internet to disable the=20
> touchpad and only use it as mouse buttons.  However, the haptic=20

I do this.  It's disappointing.  Using it as a touchpad, OTOH, was=20
unbearable due to stray clicks causing much loss of work.  I never=20
knew when it would strike.

> experience of these softbuttons is a joke compared to the old-style=20
> mouse buttons.  Performing a mouse click takes much more power, it=20
> makes a cheap sounding noise, and at least with my config, I=E2=80=99m=20
> having a hard time reliably performing right clicks.  It=E2=80=99s really=
=20
> sad.

++

> It took me a long time to get used to that touchpad.  There are=20

I'm still not used to it.  Otherwise the T440p has been a fine=20
machine, but ugh, I wish the Lenovo people would LISTEN to their=20
paying customers and do away with this abomination.

> rumors about the next generation of Thinkpads reintroducing mouse=20
> buttons.  I don=E2=80=99t know if they=E2=80=99re true, but if they are, =
I=20
> definitely recommend waiting for those models.

Or start looking at other manufacturers.  I'm afraid that will be the=20
only way to convince Lenovo to fix the problem: to hurt their sales.