[ltp] x220: "temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled" messages

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Feb 2014 01:38:47 +0000 (GMT)

--8323329-1024214002-1391737129=:11103

> 1) Do other people see these messages too? How serious are they?

Means exactly what it says. The CPU is too hot. I have an x220
and I haven't seen any such messages - I suspect I've been close
to them though when running the odd game or compiiling something
heavy - The ambient temperature I'm running the laptop in is
rarely much above 23=C2=B0C though, so I'm usually safe enough.

As to seriousness... you're only hitting the throttling levels.
If you'd tripped the _real_ barrier the machine would have shut
down: I have seen that, but not on an x220. You shouldn't be able
to damage your hardware at the throttling levels you're seeing,
I think.

Check that your fan outlet isn't blocked, gently blow into it to make
sure it's not clogged with dust or anything - try not to place the
laptop on insulating surfaces (paper, cloth) when running it hard.
If you are working in a hot environment, try to work somewhere a bit
cooler if you can.
--8323329-1024214002-1391737129=:11103--