[ltp] x220: "temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled" messages

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 Feb 2014 10:02:05 +0800

On 7/02/2014 6:47 am, Paul Bolle wrote:
> 0) Every now and then, when building a new kernel on my ThinkPad x220, I
> notice messages about throttling in the logs:
>     CPU0: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
>
> A full sample is pasted at the bottom of this message. Building a kernel
> apparently generates the heaviest load on this machine. I don't think I
> otherwise do much CPU intensive stuff.
>
> 1) Do other people see these messages too? How serious are they?
Excess heat is the bane of semiconductor electronics.  The manufacturer
tries to ensure the system doesn't sustain enough damage to require much
expensive warranty returns to burden their profits.  Usually the
manufacturer's engineers know more than anyone else, but with much
experience, people do modify the manufacturer's limits.  It helps to
really know you know why when doing that.

Cool is good.  When rebuilding a full gentoo system in 40C local
weather, I put my machine in the refrigerator overnight, although it
doesn't get hot enough if left outside to trigger a thermal shut down.

Regards,
Bret