[ltp] Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Chris. Aubrey-Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:45:22 +0000

--001a113308a4c97c4a04f235c8d7

I sincerely hope that a copy of this reaches Lenovo.....

CAS

On 12 February 2014 11:39, Alan Wood <chekov@ucla.edu> wrote:

> From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
>> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>> Subject: Re: [ltp] Anyone played with an X240 yet?
>> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:45:28 +0100

>>> touchpad. but there are some hacks flowing.. to reconfigure the
>>>>
>>> =20
>>> Holy sh*t. What have they done to out favourite lovely machines... So=
>>>

>>  you can't keep your finger on the trackpoint buttons. Damn, why didn'=

>>> they make a sensor keyboard. Who-hoo, one large reconfigurable touchp=
>>>
>> ad,
>>
>>> even larger than on Mac's.
>>> =20
>>> I'm really really dissappointed. Sorry guys.
>>> =20
>>> I'd like to know how to keep my 4:3 "T62" Frankenpad even longer.
>>>

>> If I were Lenovo I monitor a mailing list like this one for customer fe=
>> edback.
>>
>> They=B4d get it honestly and unfiltered. :)
>>
>>  I went to the store to play with the new breed of thinkpads.  I expected
> not to like the new touchpad, but I wanted to see if they were tolerable.
> Well, my disgust was immediate and my hatred only grew as I used it more.
> To describe it as a downgrade might make others think they took something
> professional and made it consumer grade -- so that does not go far enough,
> for they have made it in to a toy.
> The entire touchpad moves as you click on any button, so the kinetics of
> it feel really wrong, kind of like the original touchscreen blackberry
> phones did when you had to press that whole screen to activate a button.
>  On my current mouse config I have left+right simultaneous presses emulate
> a true middle button since I used the middle for scroll, this no longer
> seems
> possible as the entire right side of the pad rises as you click the left
> button.  I wonder if you can even disable the trackpad functions in X while
> keeping the button functions active (I can't stand pads, to me the point of
> buying a thinkpad is the trackpoint).  But I suppose that doesn't even
> matter because the buttons themselves are so terrible that there's no
> chance I'd buy a thinkpad with the new layout.  It is actually  beyond
> terrible, it is a slap in the face to long time users.
>
> I had been waiting for 2 years since my T61 broke to have a laptop that
> had USB3 and a real high res screen in a small form factor.  I was already
> pissed about the keyboard.  Really Lenovo, my X24 had the best keyboard and
> you all have made it continuously worse.  I remmember IBM reps advertising
> how the arrow keys were physically separated so you could feel them. First
> you all put those useless back/forward keys in there.  That was not the end
> of the world since I would immediately just remove the springs under them
> and regain my separation.  But I can't live without pgup/pgdn, so now I'm
> stuck with the crappy layout.  And now you've gone and put prtscrn in the
> [...]

iv class=3D"gmail_quote">On 12 February 2014 11:39, Alan Wood <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chekov@ucla.edu" target=3D"_blank">chekov@ucla.e=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"m=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">