[ltp] Re: Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Peter FP Zhang linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:43:21 -0800 (PST)

------=_Part_109378_32007498.1393001001996

Hello Vivek, Firstly I have to clarify that I am not the HW designer, I only
focus on SW, "Linux on ThinkPads". Let me try to answer as possible as I
can, although most of your questions stray off my subject. :)It is NOT
official answers, only FYR.  - no linux compatibility gotchas A: we have
Ubuntu certifications for most of ThinkPads.   - keeps the trackpoint A: Yes
I guess.  - restore the keyboard layout to something more like the x200 or
220 A: Not sure, up to the mkting feedback.   - restore the key style and
responsiveness to the same A: As above.  - restore the physical mouse
buttons so the trackpad can be deactivated A: Not sure. Seems the current
mainstream trend is touch, gestures, ultra-thin.Hard mouse button seems a
little out of date. But to be frank, personally I still like it.  - shrink
the trackpad down to a more reasonable size (or eliminate it) A: as I
mentioned, it is mainly designed for Windows 8 gestures, a bigger size is
better for it.Much as I'd like to change current OS ecosystem,  I don't
think it can be changed easily.   - provide more vertical screen real estate
(ie not widescreen) A: Mmm, I'm afraid not. I guess vertical screen looks
not beautiful for most people? How about to take a look on an ThinkCentre or
ThinkVision or a rotate screen?  - restore the x200 style green indicators
visible on both the outside and inside of the lid (a minor point but one I
still miss, not sure why they were removed) A: I guess the reason is for
Ultra/Thin book, easy to design. Not very sure. :)   - keep the same power
connector (as the x220) A: NO. And no need as well. Pls pay attention to the
interface of the new connector, it is rectangular, thinner than that of
X220, do good to design for Ultra/Thin book.  - allow memory upgrades A: Yes
for most cases.  - battery swap-outs (eg extended life or spare batteries)
A: Yes for most cases. If not, that should be the same reason, Ultra/Thin
design.  - built in rj45 connector (no dongles)   - approximately x220 sized
- restore the lid catch   - rsstore the bezel round the outside to keep dust
out A: the above 4 changes, pls consider the same reason, Ultrabook.  - keep
the thinklight A: might not, some designers might prefer to adopt K/B
backlight, seems cooler than the old one. :)

-----
If you meet any Linux compatibility issues on ThinkPads, please try to ping me, I will check if there is anything I can help.

Hello Vivek,
Firstly I have to clarify that I am not the HW designer, I only focus on SW, "Linux on ThinkPads".
Let me try to answer as possible as I can, although most of your questions stray off my subject. :)
It is NOT official answers, only FYR.

  - no linux compatibility gotchas
  - restore the keyboard layout to something more like the x200 or 220
  - restore the key style and responsiveness to the same
A: As above.

  - restore the physical mouse buttons so the trackpad can be deactivated
A: Not sure. Seems the current mainstream trend is touch, gestures, ultra-thin.
Hard mouse button seems a little out of date. But to be frank, personally I still like it.

  - shrink the trackpad down to a more reasonable size (or eliminate it)
A: as I mentioned, it is mainly designed for Windows 8 gestures, a bigger size is better for it.
Much as I'd like to change current OS ecosystem,  I don't think it can be changed easily.

  - provide more vertical screen real estate (ie not widescreen)
A: Mmm, I'm afraid not. I guess vertical screen looks not beautiful for most people?
How about to take a look on an ThinkCentre or ThinkVision or a rotate screen?

  - restore the x200 style green indicators visible on both the outside and inside of the lid (a minor point but one I still miss, not sure why they were removed)
  - keep the same power connector (as the x220)
  - battery swap-outs (eg extended life or spare batteries)
A: Yes for most cases. If not, that should be the same reason, Ultra/Thin design.

  - built in rj45 connector (no dongles)
  - approximately x220 sized
  - restore the lid catch
  - rsstore the bezel round the outside to keep dust out
A: the above 4 changes, pls consider the same reason, Ultrabook.

  - keep the thinklight
A: might not, some designers might prefer to adopt K/B backlight, seems cooler than the old one. :)