[ltp] Haswell thinkpads bios problem

Peter Frühberger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:05:51 +0100

T440s Bios was updated yesterday. They in deed fix the Intel Rapid
Start problem:

(Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might fail to start up when
the Intel Rapid Start Technology optoin was set to Enabled in ThinkPad
Setup and a partition on the hard disk or SSD was modified.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035965

Best Regards
Peter

> On 02/18/2014 11:56 AM, Peter Frühberger wrote:
>
>> I bricked my Samsung 840 Pro after just one Suspend to RAM. I had luck
>> and entering BIOS was still possible. I since then disabled the "Intel
>> Rapid Start Option" and I am in deed using UEFI only - with the legacy
>> option completely disabled on Ubuntu 13.10 with mainline kernel.
>>
>> I am running that T440s since then without any issues. I believe the
>> "rapid start" option made the difference for me.
>>
>> Now I am a bit confused, cause I should have bricked it by now at
>> least multiple times me UEFI running. I am using Kernel 3.13 and have
>> run the 3.13-rcs before.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Peter
>

> I'm running Debian testing on t440p with UEFI and stock hdd (resized
> Windows_C partition to make place for debian).
>
> If I understood correctly (from lenovo support forum [1]) the BIOS/post
> problem comes from not having a special partition used with Intel Rapid
> Start Option.
>
> [1] :
> http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/HOWTO-Brick-a-W540-=
in-easy-steps/td-p/1400393/page/3