[ltp] Re: Re-mapped End key results in stuck E key

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Jul 2014 11:40:48 -0400

>>> Can you update the BIOS from Linux?
>> The BIOS is never updated from a running OS, really,
> Not true. I can update the BIOS of my Supermicro X7SPA-HF mainboard
> using flashrom. See here for a list of supported hardware:
> http://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware
> (No, not a single Thinkpad is supported, but not many other laptops
> either.)

Indeed, in theory is should be possible, but in practice it's very
rare that the tools exist to do that on typical "PC"s.

If you consider other computers, such as your typical home-router, then
it's actually very common to be able to update the "BIOS" directly from
the OS.

        Stefan