[ltp] Old Thinkpad 380E won't boot from cdrom if harddrive connected!

Sun, 13 Jul 2014 23:11:37 +0100

Dear Keith,

Good luck with that machine - I think you'll have some "fun" getting it
to work. Your problem sounds to me like a master/slave conflict.

If you have a single IDE channel, this can normally support up to 2
devices, one of which must be the master, and the 2nd (if present) the
slave. It doesn't usually matter which is which (though there are some
issues about sharing a bus between 33 and 66 MHz IDE devices, IIRC.

Sometimes the master/slave setting is done by a jumper on the disk,
sometimes it is by a specially wired cable, aka "cable select". I hope
that's helpful.

Are the CDROM and HDD original parts? If so, they should be compatible
with each other.

Also, have you considered placing the hard disk in a USB enclosure, and
installing from another machine?

Also, a possible warning: not all "PCMCIA" cards are compatible. The
page here is helpful: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/PCMCIA_slot

Lastly, this may be a useful testing tool:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

HTH,

Richard