[ltp] TP Yoga - touchpad psmouse lost sync, buttons hanging / freeze

Nicole Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:35:51 +0200

Hi!
Yesterday I received my shiny new Thinkpad Yoga. Most stuff works right
out of the box (I did install Debian testing) but I have a severe issue
with the touchpad, especially the buttons, that are now part of the
touchpad (a big drawback of the Yoga and some other new Thinkpad models).

Everything works fine until I press one of those buttons. After that the
psmouse driver reports lost sync and the mouse pointer either goes
haywire or it gets stuck and most of the time recovers after some seconds.

Since I only played around briefly with the installed Win8 (I have no
interest in Win8) I can not 100% sure tell if it worked there. But I had
the impression that Windows showed the same issues - each time I clicked
a "mouse" button, the pointer disappeared and only the touchscreen
worked for a moment.

This seems pretty strange to me. It feels like a hardware defect but on
the other hand the buttons are part of touchpad and the touchpad works
as far as moving the mouse pointer is concerned.

Here is what the kernel (I am running 3.15.5 now) sais about that:

[    2.102001] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 8.1,
id: 0x1e2b1, caps: 0xd001a3/0x940300/0x127c00, board id: 2911, fw id:
1514409
[    2.102009] psmouse serio1: synaptics: serio: Synaptics pass-through
port at isa0060/serio1/input0
[    6.601021] psmouse serio2: alps: Unknown ALPS touchpad: E7=10 00 64,
EC=10 00 64
[    8.502683] psmouse serio2: trackpoint: IBM TrackPoint firmware:
0x0e, buttons: 3/3
[   29.798333] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost
sync at byte 1
[   29.799455] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost
sync at byte 1
[   29.800550] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost
sync at byte 1
[   29.801631] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost
sync at byte 1
[   29.802739] psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost
sync at byte 1
[   29.802744] psmouse serio1: issuing reconnect request

Is this simply a (yet) unsupported touchpad version? The "Unknown ALPS
touchpad: E7=10 00 64, EC=10 00 64" suggests this. Or is this device
really broken, i.e. broken hardware?

BTW: Since I read in some forum posts that some people have similar
issues (other laptops) when UEFI is still active I tried to switch to
"legacy only" but same behavior. I also booted the Windows recovery from
USB stick since it also has GUI and mouse pointer already and at least
the recovery version also goes haywire when one of the buttons is pressed.

I also tried various parameters to the "psmouse" kernel module but
nothing helped.

Apart from this issue the machine is superb and I would really be pretty
p*ssed if would have to return it - which would surely mean several
weeks being without it. So if someone has an idea how to fix this I
would be very very grateful!

Many thanks!

Cheers
  nicole

--
kernel concepts GmbH      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48