[ltp] Intermittent 1802: Unauthorized network card

Christoph Schmees linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:33:08 +0200

Am 10.07.2014 06:41, schrieb Jean Jordaan:
> Hi there
>
> Just a data point. Yesterday out of the blue my X201i refused to boot,
> displaying only
> the "1802: Unauthorized network card" error. This is with the same
> hardware that's
> been working fine for the last four years. I turned off everything
> that looked relevant
> in the BIOS, but no joy.
>
> This morning it booted fine again.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

your case sounds quite like a (temporary) HW problem. Thermal?
Hairline crack? Loose contact? Against the latter there is a
cure: Lubricate the contacts of the plugin card(s) with vaseline
(pertrolatum, petroleum jelly) or acid-free oil. That is perfect
corrosion protection. I have done this many times with great
success.

hth, Christoph