[ltp] keyboards in the new X series: less keys?

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:30:48 +0200

--h/77pM/XNBmEJr8g

Uwe Brauer:
>=20
> I have used in the past  either a X40, X60 or X200s. Now=20
> I am thinking of buying either a new X240 or X1. However when I searched
> for images of the keyboards, I observed to my horror, that=20
>=20
>     -  the X240 has no f1-f12 keys at all

Not true. F1-F12 are labelled with special functions (volume, wifi,
brightness etc) but have small labels for Fx as well. You can switch
between both modes with Fn-Esc ("FnLk") and the state persists across
reboots. Apart form a slightly annoying LED in the FN key (lit on FnLk)
this is not worse than my old X200. The only key I am missing is for
suspend.

>     -  the X1 still has but has no break, print, numlock and the forward
>        and backward keys. That makes 5 keys less than the keyboard found
>        on the X60 or X200 (the X40 has no windows modifier which is also
>        bad.

The X240 also doesn't have any other of these keys. And, potentially
worse, End and Ins share a single key. By default you have End and
Fn+End is Ins. With FnLk it is the other way round. I got used to this
surprisingly quick, but only because I apparentlyuse Ins more often than
End.

> Are there models with the old type of keyboards?
> Is there a way to exchange the new keyboards for the old one?

I don't think so.

J.
--=20
I am not scared of death but terrified of people in Tommy Hilfiger
sweatshirts.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

--h/77pM/XNBmEJr8g

--h/77pM/XNBmEJr8g--