[ltp] ThinkPad X220: Battery Bay/Slice/other &c

Dan Saint-Andre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:52:22 -0500

--------------090208050105000001050108

Colleagues,
      There are two batteries available for the X220.  I've used both.
The drive-bay battery is known as both a "slice" and a "bay" battery.

1.  The primary battery along the keyboard back edge
2.  An insert for the Ultra-Base, DVD/CD drive bay slot.

There was a similar configuration for the X60 and X61 as well. Sadly,
they were PATA (IDE) connected while the X220 is SATA connected. This
means that one cannot use the older "slice" battery in a newer workstation.

Operationally, it seems that the "slice" battery gets used first
followed by the "primary" battery.  They seem to charge in the reverse
order.  My experience with this hardware under Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04
Linux was mediocre. Specifically, all battery notifications and events
were confused by the presence of the second battery. This cause some
grief as power approached exhaustion. Otherwise, everything worked very
well.

Regards,
~~~ 0;-Dan

--------------090208050105000001050108

  <head>

  </head>
    Colleagues,<br>
         There are two batteries available for the X220.  I've used
    both.<br>
    The drive-bay battery is known as both a "slice" and a "bay"
    battery.<br>
    1.  The primary battery along the keyboard back edge<br>
    2.  An insert for the Ultra-Base, DVD/CD drive bay slot.<br>
    There was a similar configuration for the X60 and X61 as well.
    Sadly, they were PATA (IDE) connected while the X220 is SATA
    connected. This means that one cannot use the older "slice" battery
    in a newer workstation.<br>
    Operationally, it seems that the "slice" battery gets used first
    followed by the "primary" battery.  They seem to charge in the
    reverse order.  My experience with this hardware under Ubuntu 8.04
    and 10.04 Linux was mediocre. Specifically, all battery
    notifications and events were confused by the presence of the second
    battery. This cause some grief as power approached exhaustion.
    Otherwise, everything worked very well.<br>
    Regards,<br>
    ~~~ 0;-Dan<br>

--------------090208050105000001050108--