[ltp] Advice on UEFI vs. BIOS

Jochen Spieker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:02:46 +0200

--TuzloVs6SlI5NjIZ

Jochen Spieker:
>=20
> Anyway, I plan to re-use my existing SSD (128GB Samsung 840 Pro) which
> is currently formatted using a traditional partition table. That's why I
> ordered my X240 with the cheapest disk option available, a 500GB
> spinning disk. Could you please verify whether my assumptions are
> correct?

What I did in the end was roughly as follows:

- Boot Windows to update BIOS and disable caching on the m.2 disk.
- Disable Secure Boot in BIOS.
- Install Debian to m.2 disk using a recent testing installer with
  firmware.
- Shrink Windows NTFS partition so that everything fits nicely into
  ~100GB and move everything to the start of the disk.
- dd from hard disk to the SSD until ENOSPACE occurs.
- Fix backup GPT using gdisk expert mode (gdisk /dev/sdX, x, e, w).

Windows still boots nicely. I just don't know whether the 15-20GB of
recovery partitions still actually work.

J.
--=20
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree]   [Disagree]